http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2007/03/the_marketplace.html - A NEW HISTORY
History began again, but in a new and even messier form. The global communications and economic system we built became an open platform that superseded (but did not replace) the authority of the state. As a result of this new connectivity, increasingly outside of the control of the (or any) state, a growing number of groups have taken advantage of this new platform to challenge the state's legitimacy to exercise authority. The interesting part is that these new organizations:
* don't represent any cohesive ideology or material solution, but rather a plethora of different solutions that appeal (by providing meaning and/or security and/or economic advancement) to specific target groups,
* are typically networks rather than hierarchies (they are not replacements for the state),
* aren't tied to territory (and hence aren't required to provide services to anyone other than their members),
* often find extremely profitable ways to finance their own growth, and
* have developed a new method of warfare to protect themselves and extend their power (open source warfare).