Y'all are a bunch of wankers!


and bisquits - what's the difference?

I thought cookes in American English and bisquits in British, but then I've heard both words in the same English film.

Permalink Blue Caterpillar 
July 29th, 2007 10:54pm
bite me.
Permalink worldSmallestViolin 
July 29th, 2007 10:56pm
cookies are bigger and crumblier.
Permalink sniffinSniveller 
July 29th, 2007 10:57pm
do the english have the fluffy bread product known as a biscuit in the US in jolly old England?
Permalink Oppy 
July 29th, 2007 11:01pm
Yes, interesting.

Is it the same fluffy thing that cakes are made from?
Permalink Blue Caterpillar 
July 29th, 2007 11:25pm
No. Or at leas they taste quite different.
Permalink Oppy 
July 29th, 2007 11:28pm
Seem to, though I'd call the littler ones scones:


and bigger ones sodabread or damper:

Permalink trollop 
July 29th, 2007 11:34pm
Aha! Thanks, trollop.
Permalink Blue Caterpillar 
July 29th, 2007 11:39pm
British "biscuits" are not as sweet as US "cookies."
Permalink Peter 
July 29th, 2007 11:43pm
In England a biscuit is the generic term for the thing known as a cookie in the US (and includes varieties such as the "rich tea" or "digestive" rarely seen on the American side of the Atlantic. A cookie in British English means the specific type of drop biscuit exemplified by the "choc chip" or "oatmeal raisin" varieties.
Permalink Send private email bon vivant 
July 30th, 2007 1:32am
You can buy tea biscuits at US markets. They come in a small cardboard box and are usually clearly labeled as being something fancy from the UK and cost substantially more than the cheap cookies that come in sacks.
Permalink Practical Economist 
July 30th, 2007 1:54am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other topics: July, 2007 Other topics: July, 2007 Recent topics Recent topics