Here it is. Now what?

crohn's disease

I was reading up on fish oils & it seems they heve an anti inflammatory effect & there is strong evidence that it helps with crohns disease. according to the article, "entric-coated, free-fatty-acid form fish oil" is the kind you should take. vitamin d is also strongly recommended for crohns. i'm not sure why.
Permalink marktaw (on my girlfriend's treo) 
August 8th, 2005
oh yeah, the links on the bottom of the topic list appear as "New New topic" & "New Old topics."
Permalink marktaw (on my girlfriend's treo) 
August 8th, 2005
you're a damn nice guy mark and I mean that, no joke.
Permalink FaLing@Orbiz.ch 
August 8th, 2005
I have also heard some good things, possibly Flax too?
Permalink Berlin Brown 
August 8th, 2005
flax has a different omega 3 to omega 6 ratio than fish. vegetable oils in general have more omega 6 than omega 3.
Permalink marktaw (on my girlfriend's treo) 
August 8th, 2005
"Most fish oil supplements are 18% EPA and 12% DHA, or a total of 30% omega-3 fatty acid, unlike the omega-3 fatty acid found in flaxseed oil and other vegetable oils (such as alpha linolenic acid), keep blood triglicerides in check (high triglycerides are generally linked with increased risk of heart disease) and mey inhibit the progression of atherosclerosis. EPA and DHA keep blood from clotting too quickly.

EPA and DHA also have anti-inflammatory activity. As a result, fish oil is used to help with various inflammatory conditions, such as Crohn's disease and rheumatoid arthritis..."

maybe I got the omega 6 thing wrong, but it looks like it's fish oils or nothing.
Permalink marktaw (on my girlfriend's treo) 
August 8th, 2005
"To a very limited extent, omega-3 fatty acids from vegetable sources, such as flaxseed oil, can convert to EPA."

"The health benefits for people with Crohn's disease has been reported with a special, encoated preparation of purified EPA/DHA manufactured from fish oil. This preparation of purified fatty acids has also been reported to not cause the gastrointestinal symptoms that often result from taking regular fish oil supplements, again suggesting unique benefit."
Permalink marktaw (on my girlfriend's treo) 
August 8th, 2005
"enteric-coated" not encoated.
Permalink marktaw (on my girlfriend's treo) 
August 8th, 2005
Oh, cool, the computer database I was getting this from is available online.

http://www.gnc.com/health_notes/healthnotes.aspx?ContentId=2843005&lang=en
Permalink MarkTAW 
August 9th, 2005
Oops, you found an error!