Daddy new post
1. Joel Spolsky, co-founder of stack-overflow, and well-known software commentator disavows twitter/facebook.
2. Theorizes that twitter's low-character limit leads to misunderstanding, which leads to conflict, which leads to drama, which is addictive to our "rubber-necker" tendencies. Cites personal experience and hashtag wars in a comedic example.
3. Furthers that facebook's machine-learning is (advertantly?) accomplishing the same effect, by selecting for things that elicit a strong response (mistaken as "engagement").
4. Proposes that facebook uses "intermittent reinforcement" to ration out its good content slowly, forcing users to spend excess time on the site to get to the small amounts of interesting material they enjoy.
5. Proposes that these naive attention-optimizing algorithms can lead to much "shriller" political battles. Raises a moral obligation to engineers to acknowledge the large-scale social consequences of simple algorithms.
January 13th, 2018 4:49pm
January 13th, 2018 4:50pm
Why do dumbass normies have to slavishly devote time to FB, anyway?
It's really the user's fault entirely. I've always seen clearly that FB posts that get engagement tend toward one of very few themes: virtue signaling; over the top narcissism; herd following combined with the virtue signal or narcissism displays. I just described 90% of Facebook user traffic.
I'd enslave and manipulate the users no problem if I had the means, too. They deserve it. Totally. Fuck 'em.
January 13th, 2018 5:12pm
Are the impersonator sex posts that have plagued this board for years Horrorwitz, or some bot that is just posting here?
January 13th, 2018 5:52pm
It's either Ruseman himself or a consequence of the degraded environment that is a direct result of his troll attacks on this board. Fuck Wayne M / Ruseman / Somebody. Say NO to trolls.
January 13th, 2018 6:48pm
Fuck off asshole. You seem to have a grudge
January 14th, 2018 9:20am
I went over to Daddy's site to look at the new article.
I read a paragraph or two, and thought, "Why am I wasting my time?"
So I stopped reading. Should I go back?
January 14th, 2018 11:24pm
Nah we got a good summary here in the OP
January 15th, 2018 1:16am
Joel certainly took a lot of words to state the obvious.
His time as a sage wise one worth following has passed. Developer culture has fragmented so much that he has no material to write about. And there are many better commentators on the relationship of social media to society.
I'm sure he's doing fine, though.
January 15th, 2018 1:36pm